Spot Technology: Network / Satellilte
SPOT works around the world, including virtually all of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe and Australia, portions of South America, Northern Africa, and North-Eastern Asia and hundreds or thousands of miles offshore of these areas. In Russia, the GPS accuracy of your SPOT is limited (degraded) in accordance with Russian regulations restricting the accuracy of GPS performance for devices utilized in Russia.
||96% OR BETTER PROBABILITY OF SUCCESSFULLY SENDING A SINGLE MESSAGE WITHIN 20 MINUTES.
||REDUCED OR NO COVERAGE AVAILABLE WITHIN A 20 MINUTE PERIOD.
|| Coverage in Zambia, Angola, Burundi, Rwanda, People's Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Cote d'Ivoire, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, The Gambia, Sao Tome and Principe and parts of Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Tanzania, Mozambique, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Cameroon, Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mauritania and Cape Verde are currently experiencing technical issues impacting connectivity and service levels. Issues are identified, and we are looking to resolve them.
Last Updated 2014-04-18. Estimated coverage area. Actual coverage may vary. Success rates are forecasts for a SPOT messenger to successfully deliver a single message during a 20-minute period, based on network availability. Additionally, in everyday conditions it is normal for some messages to be blocked by your environment, such as hills or buildings. That 's why the SPOT Messenger is scheduled to automatically send multiple messages in every mode - giving you excellent overall reliability.
Nigeria/West-Central Africa - Currently experiencing technical issues impacting connectivity and service levels for simplex and SPOT messenger/tracking devices. Issues identified and working quickly to resolve, however, full restoration of service TBD.
We will update as progress continues.
- GPS satellites provide signals
- SPOT messenger's onboard GPS chip determines your GPS location and sends your location and preselected message to communication satellites
- Communication satellites relay your message to specific satellite antennas around the world
- Satellite antennas and a global network route your location and message to the appropriate network
- Your location and messages are delivered according to your instructions via email, text message, or emergency notification to the GEOS Rescue Coordination Center
SPOT Gen3 Getting Started:
SPOT Trace Getting Started: